Thursday 27 December 2007

Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) damage

30 years ago when I was 8 years I had a major accident with a big iron rocking horse that were common place in most playgrounds. To cut a long & painful story short I was pushing it from behind & it took me off the ground & when it came back down to earth so did I with my leg underneath it. This smashed my leg up pretty badly & because of this my ACL has never grown back in my right knee.
Thankfully it has never stopped me from doing all the sports that I have enjoyed throughout the years, although rugby & football became a no no just because of the constant impact when running & being tackled.
Although I have always been into biking, it is only quite recently that full suspension has become a breath of fresh air to people like me.
Pain is a funny thing & is something you do get used to, ask anyone with a tattoo, after a while you just get used to the needle. This is the same for a re-ocurring injury like the ACL but without products like Glucosamine, Collagen & Chondroitin I'm sure the pain would be a lot worse.
For anyone out there who has trouble with their ACL not only in biking but any sport should really try out the above herbal tablets. I get mine from Healthy Direct but many other outlets sell them.
Another temporary solution are knee braces. Chain Reaction Cycles have some on their website which although not cheap do seem to be considerably cheaper than the famously branded Donjoy knee braces. I have only ever used a Donjoy some years ago but I could still play squash with it on with very little obstruction, although I'm sure people looking on may well have thought that by the looks of it I should have be in a wheelchair.
I had my last knee operation a few years back & when I asked my surgeon if it would be all right for the snowboarding trip that was only 1 week away he did say that it would only be the pain that would hinder me. Although I don't like meeting my surgeon because it usually means I'm lying on a table & he has a scalpel in his hand, I do like his attitude & with him being a skier he does understand what it is to do these types of sports. The boarding holiday was a relative success with me boarding for a day & resting for a day or sometimes 2 but I did get some powder which always makes it worthwhile.
The moral of this story is don't let a bit of pain stop you doing what you really want to do. Equip yourself with the correct lotions & potions & you'll be fine. You are long time dead.

No comments: